Friday, February 8, 2008

Quick fire challenge: Friday night dinner


Too busy enjoying the sunshine and forgot the markets close at 2pm.
The challenge: What do make for dinner???

Grab an espresso and start thinking. Ok, back at the flat got anchovies, dried porcinis, gorgonzola, pasta, vin santo, eggs and truffle honey. Went to a supermarket and picked up Sliced proscuitto Toscano!, bread, crimini shrooms and a baby basil plant.

Results: I think Padma would have flirted with me for sure on this one. Crazy.

Pappardelle with porcini & crimini mushrooms plus anchovy garlic paste.
Proscuitto 2 ways. 1st with gorgonzola & basil. 2nd with olive oil fried egg and truffled honey.
Wine: Benanti Biancodicaselle Etna, Sicily.


Let's get a closer look at the Crostini.

Dessert
Sicilian oranges with home made chocolate hazelnut salami.
Dessert made during class with Divina cucina.

7 comments:

Harlan said...

Chocolate Hazelnut Salami. Woah. What was the texture like? Like a candy bar, or did you find a way to give it a meaty sort of give?

Jonathan said...

hazelnut liquor and raw egg gave it the slightly meatier texture. But in a good way. Don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. It's delicious.

Unknown said...

holy crap- speaking of padma, i walked by her today on my way to lunch. WHAT A HOTTIE!
and the crostini have my name all over them...
plus- i thought the salami was only a big thing in portugal, my auntie makes it soooo good. glad to hear you'll be making it for me when you return :)

Laura said...

I'm just finishing up the mole salami from Salumi in Seattle - I can well imagine the chocolate hazelnut version! Mmmmm.

megc said...

Wow, everything looks amazing! The crostini are particularly attractive. But everything - yum!

Anonymous said...

Jonathan - you have to sneak some of that Salami back. It's your moral imperative!

I bought my pigs head! Will brine it today and cook tomorrow.

Jonathan said...

Ive got the chocolate salami recipe.